Skip to main content

The Christ - Forces Your Hand

"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me, scatters. (Luke 11:23 NIV)

With this very brief but eloquent statement, our Lord Jesus Christ plainly lays before all mankind the essence of every person’s destiny. According to Jesus, either you are with Him or you are against Him. No gray area. Your life demonstrates your choice. This does beg a question therefore: how do know if your life is with Christ or against him? If you give Jesus Christ any kind of credibility in your thought process, then it stands to reason that this question must be answered in your mind and heart. You can’t sit on the sidelines. Christ does not permit it. I love this simplistic black or white theology. You don’t need a Phd to figure it out. Every one with a functioning mind automatically participates. Few (if any) have an out!

I can guarantee you that most who may happen to read this post feel in their heart that they are certainly “not against Christ”. Sure there are a few proudly independent Atheists who relish the idea, but for the most part, few “regular” people would raise their hand to acknowledge that they are “proudly against Jesus”. Yet, by Christ’s own words, they are in fact “against me”. When I was unsaved (through age 33), I will tell you that I lived my life clearly willing to acknowledge that I was certainly “not against Christ”. No, I didn’t pray much (if at all), I never uttered the word Jesus more than a handful of times, I certainly had no desire to go to church to “hang out with the hypocrites” and I certainly viewed the Bible as no more than one of many bookshelf ornaments in my home. Yet plain as day…in my humdrum day-to-day existence, there I was actively living in opposition to Christ. That I didn’t clearly know it made it no less true.

The modern world in which we live abhors simplistic distinctions. To many, this notion is so very old fashioned and unenlightened. They say the world and its complexity are too sophisticated to be broken down into simple yes-no, good-bad distinctions. You must understand and engage in nuances where necessary. Their quandary however is that in the midst of this sophistication comes the simple message of scripture as the Bible says: This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life… (Deuteronomy 30:19-20 NIV) The Lord’s simple message here is you have a choice: life or death! Eternal life or eternal death! You will have one or the other…no gray area! In this scripture, the Lord points out one way how that choice can be made: “…love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life”.

Before I willingly and knowingly accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and therefore accepted Him as the substitute for my sins, I knew of Him, but I didn’t really know about Him. It was not possible for me to “listen to His voice; to hold fast to Him”. It was not really possible for me to be in His camp, in other words to be “with Him”. No…the cold hard truth was that I “was against Him”. In the choice of “life or death, blessing or curses”, I was choosing death and curses! So are you if you are reading this post and you have not given your life over to serving Christ. Sure, you can reject this notion and scoff at it as simply being my opinion and a bad one at that. However you will no longer be able to say that you didn’t know. After reading this post…now you know. However it is also instructive to understand God’s process in waiting on us to make permanent our choices: The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. (2 Peter 3:9-10 NIV) For every person who died yesterday, how many of them knew where they were on the Lord’s time-clock of patience. What about those who will be dying today? God’s patience with them is over. How about your time-clock?

Here is a quick and simple way for you to make the Life choice, just say the following and believe it: “Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, I believe that you died for me. I accept your sacrifice. Thank you for dying for me. Thank you for giving me eternal Life. Thank you for accepting my prayer. Amen” – If you just prayed this prayer. Congratulations! Here is Jesus’ word to you: "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. (John 5:24 NIV)

Popular posts from this blog

Ignore God and Decrease Your Birth Rates

I read a very interesting article yesterday in the New York Times on the topic of the shrinking birth rate in Europe over the past few decades. The article outlines the demographic danger facing Europe with the high likelihood that several countries (Italy, Spain and Germany among others) will see their native populations decrease by up to 40% by 2050. According to the article, the replacement birth rate necessary to maintain an equal population size from generation to generation is 2.1 children born to each woman. In Europe according to the article the rate is well below 2.0, with some countries closer to 1.5 and dropping. It is a lengthy and very interesting read that sheds some light on a phenomenon that in all likelihood will reshape the face of Western Europe within 100 years. The interesting thing about the article is that it was published after extensive research and interviews with many experts and it offers various possible explanations for why this situation has developed.

Funerals for the Unsaved or Unbelievers

I am not a leader of a church, but I oftentimes wonder how does one lead a funeral service for someone who dies without knowing Jesus Christ as Lord ? Admittedly I have not been to many funerals in my lifetime, though they are appearing to come more frequently lately, but the fact is that funerals are held daily throughout the world and as such this is a pertinent question to someone just about every day.   I’ve been to the funeral where the person lived a fairly routine life, taking care of their families and other responsibilities as best they could, paying taxes and doing the average things that we as human beings do on a consistent basis. They however had no visible relationship with God through His son Jesus Christ. When this person dies, the surviving family members are oftentimes left scrambling trying to find a person and a place to officiate the funeral services – generally because the deceased did not have a regular church that they attended. Funeral homes sometimes serve thi

Mother Jesus?

The Episcopal Church USA continues to stake out their territory as a “church unto itself” as opposed to a part of Christ’s body of believers with such decisions as 2003’s approval of the New Hampshire Diocese's election of V. Gene Robinson, as the organization’s first openly gay bishop. This year the “church” elected liberal Katherine Jefferts Schori as their leader. Along comes this not surprising bit of information about Ms. Schori courtesy of Newsbusters.org . Most recently, she irritated some conservatives by speaking about "Mother Jesus" in a sermon....the website then goes on to quote Washington Post reporter Alan Cooperman who stated: To those who accuse her of heresy for referring to a female Jesus, she responds with a typically learned disquisition on medieval mystics and saints who used similar language, including Julian of Norwich and St. Teresa of Avila. "I was trying to say that the work of the cross was in some ways like giving birth to a new creation,