Skip to main content

The Punishment of Jesus to Make us Clean


I was speaking to a friend recently about the sacrifice made by our Lord Jesus Christ to redeem us back to God our Father. It was a heavy conversation where we were both focusing on the depth of our own individual sins in relation to the price that Jesus had to pay to wipe our stains away so that we can live permanently with a Holy and Perfect God.

I believe that the punishment that Jesus had to bear was that which was (or is) coming to each and everyone human being who has ever lived, for the sins that they each individually has or will commit. It’s hard to conceive rationally, or even put into words, but the level of punishment, the pain, the horror, the terror, the anguish etc. that my Lord Jesus Christ took is the exact equivalent of what I would have received if God were to have punished me for my life; then He took the same level of punishment for you; then He took the same level of punishment for your brother; then that for your sister; then that for your mother; then that for your grandmother; and so on and so on. All exponential. None minimized on aggregate or on average. His pain and punishment was multiplied one on top of another for everyone. For every mass murderer, for every rapist, for every child molester. For every Hitler. For every Sadam Hussein. For every Pol Pot. For everyone. Jesus was punished to the level earned by every one of us.

Jesus also did this knowing that a majority of the people for whom He was being punished would not care about His sacrifice. Would not acknowledge it. Would not simply say “thank you”. Would even spit upon Him in hatred. Yet he was willing to do it anyway. Yes He is worthy of my praise. My worship. My obedience (though I fail terribly at this one).

When you think about, remember or see the movie The Passion of The Christ, think about all the sin in our world and realize the depiction shown of Jesus’ punishment in that movie wasn’t horrific enough to truly illustrate His actual sacrifice to make us all clean. Think about it and at least thank Him today.

Isaiah 53 (The Holy Bible - New Living Translation)
1 Who has believed our message?
To whom has the Lord revealed his powerful arm?
2 My servant grew up in the Lord’s presence like a tender green shoot,
like a root in dry ground.
There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance,
nothing to attract us to him.
3 He was despised and rejected—
a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief.
We turned our backs on him and looked the other way.
He was despised, and we did not care.

4 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried;
it was our sorrows[a] that weighed him down.
And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God,
a punishment for his own sins!
5 But he was pierced for our rebellion,
crushed for our sins.
He was beaten so we could be whole.
He was whipped so we could be healed.
6 All of us, like sheep, have strayed away.
We have left God’s paths to follow our own.
Yet the Lord laid on him
the sins of us all.

7 He was oppressed and treated harshly,
yet he never said a word.
He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.
And as a sheep is silent before the shearers,
he did not open his mouth.
8 Unjustly condemned,
he was led away.
No one cared that he died without descendants,
that his life was cut short in midstream.
But he was struck down
for the rebellion of my people.
9 He had done no wrong
and had never deceived anyone.
But he was buried like a criminal;
he was put in a rich man’s grave.

10 But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush him
and cause him grief.
Yet when his life is made an offering for sin,
he will have many descendants.
He will enjoy a long life,
and the Lord’s good plan will prosper in his hands.
11 When he sees all that is accomplished by his anguish,
he will be satisfied.
And because of his experience,
my righteous servant will make it possible
for many to be counted righteous,
for he will bear all their sins.
12 I will give him the honors of a victorious soldier,
because he exposed himself to death.
He was counted among the rebels.
He bore the sins of many and interceded for rebels.

Comments

LisaShaw said…
Powerfully said!

What the LORD has done for me (for us) I can not adequately express in words. I can only be so grateful and so humbled by His great sacrifice.

He who KNEW NO SIN took on my sins! Thank You Jesus!

I couldn't be good enough, right enough, kind enough, smart enough or anything else -- enough. I needed JESUS' sacrifice. I'm a sinner saved by GRACE! Hallelujah!

Thank you for writing this as we acknowledge this special time.

May our lives bring Him glory.
Ginger said…
I'm visiting your blog via Lisa's. Thank you so much for such a powerful message. It humbles me so to think about what Jesus did for me. His love is unconditional that he suffered and was punished for my salvation and peace.
Laura said…
This preaches!

Thank you for a beautiful, stirring post. This time of year, I love to contemplate all that He has done.

It leaves me broken, but I know the end of the story!

Blessings and Happy Easter!
Mel said…
You know I could not watch all parts of the Passion due to the graphic nature and to think it was not even a fraction of what Our Lord endured for me is mind boggling.

Incredible post and thanks for you amazingly encouraging comment on my Repealing Conscience post the other day.
I thought of this very thing all day yesterday. Thinking what Jesus went through physically is unbearable... but then thinking how he felt emotionally on top of it all...; I can't even begin to fathom. I know how I feel when I've sinned in my life. Those times I wanted to bury my head in shame or embarrassment.. etc. To think that Jesus felt my shame and pain and everyone elses all at the same time... ~~~; there are just no words.*
Hallelujah Jesus.
Pam said…
Isn't it amazing how God continually brings us back to the cross, and that is where our understanding seems to grow and deepen? Although we will never fully understand or see the magnificence of the cross to it's full extent in this life, we are able to grasp it more and more! And it is more and more beautiful!! Praise God! and thank you for sharing, the cross is everything!! Jesus is everything!! love, pam
joybug56 said…
I loved your post on the sacrifice of the Jesus Christ. One of my daily confessions of scriptures in the midst of each regardless if it is pain that comes or the pleasures that come:
I Corinthians 2: For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ and him crucified. When I am enjoying the presence of God delightfully I am reminded of the sacrifice made by my Crucified Saviour when I am in the midst of pain I am reminded that this pain is truly void in comparison to the pain of the sacrifice of my Crucified Saviour...if I will rememember HIS Price of Sacrifice my heart will always remain full of gratitude for Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God that was Crucified and Resurrected ~ Giving me New Life each day ~
joybug56 said…
I loved your post on the sacrifice of the Jesus Christ. One of my daily confessions of scriptures in the midst of each regardless if it is pain that comes or the pleasures that come:
I Corinthians 2: For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ and him crucified. When I am enjoying the presence of God delightfully I am reminded of the sacrifice made by my Crucified Saviour when I am in the midst of pain I am reminded that this pain is truly void in comparison to the pain of the sacrifice of my Crucified Saviour...if I will rememember HIS Price of Sacrifice my heart will always remain full of gratitude for Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God that was Crucified and Resurrected ~ Giving me New Life each day ~
manoj said…
It's true, exact, thank God.

Popular posts from this blog

Funerals for the Unsaved or Unbelievers

I am not a leader of a church, but I oftentimes wonder how does one lead a funeral service for someone who dies without knowing Jesus Christ as Lord? Admittedly I have not been to many funerals in my lifetime, though they are appearing to come more frequently lately, but the fact is that funerals are held daily throughout the world and as such this is a pertinent question to someone just about every day.

I’ve been to the funeral where the person lived a fairly routine life, taking care of their families and other responsibilities as best they could, paying taxes and doing the average things that we as human beings do on a consistent basis. They however had no visible relationship with God through His son Jesus Christ. When this person dies, the surviving family members are oftentimes left scrambling trying to find a person and a place to officiate the funeral services – generally because the deceased did not have a regular church that they attended. Funeral homes sometimes serve this f…

Scripture: Are You a Wheat or Weed?

(Matthew 23: 24-30 NIV): Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ ‘‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ ‘‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

(Matthew 23: 36-43 NIV): Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.” He answered, “The…

Hal Lindsay off TBN

Christian author and broadcaster Hal Lindsay removed his weekly Christian television news broadcast "The International Intelligence Briefing" from the programming lineup on The Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) after network officials notified him that his shows would now be subject to pre-screening for censorship prior to broadcast approval. This unusual step was the result of TBN’s disapproval of a Lindsay broadcast in December 2005, which the network said was too inflammatory towards Muslims.

I have reviewed the transcript of Mr. Lindsay's broadcast and I find nothing in it’s content that is not backed up by God’s scripture, nor did I find anything that would be considered overly zealous or purposefully sensational with respect to potential attacks on Muslims. To the extent that TBN, one of the most widely available Christian TV networks would take this position is quite incredulous. One of the reasons for the need for ‘Christian’ TV networks is to enable the presenta…